January 28, 2014
Six Tips for Buying a Used Car in Oklahoma City
If you’re trying to buy a used car from a dealership in Oklahoma City, you know that it can be a confusing process. Trying to juggle prices, financing options, insurance, and taxes is enough to make anyone’s head spin. In the interest of making it as easy as possible for you to find your next car, we at The Key put together some of our best advice for used car buying. Stick with these simple steps and you’ll be driving in the perfect car in no time!
- Decide What Type of Car You Want – One of the best ways to get familiar with the different used cars available today is to do some research beforehand. Websites like edmunds.com can give you a good idea of what kinds of cars are available at different price points, what options and extras they have available, and even tell you which ones are for sale near you.
- Find a Care Dealership – Once you’ve decided on a type of car, you need to pick a dealer that has it for sale. Remember: not every dealership is the same! Some will be more forgiving on financing or will offer extra benefits like a warranty, used car history report, or service on the car. Pick a dealership you trust and go find your car!
- Take it for a Test Drive – Make sure you drive the car before you buy it. Sometimes a car will look great on paper but feel very different when you’re actually inside it, so be sure to try it out and get a good sense of how it drives. Take it on a route that mimics your regular driving patterns – use the highway if you commute a lot, or do some stop-and-go if you drive mostly in the city.
- Check the Vehicle History – If the dealership offers it, ask for a vehicle history report, especially on any vehicle that’s older than a few years. If they don’t offer it, it could be worth purchasing anyway, and definitely is when you’re looking at a car that has higher miles or any apparent body damage or problems. Also ask for service records to verify that the car has been properly maintained.
- Finance to Fit Your Budget – If you’re happy with everything so far, it’s time to move on to financing the car. Remember that a car isn’t a traditional investment – it’s value will not go up over time. With that in mind, your goals in financing should be to get the best monthly payment possible over a given time frame. Think about how long you’re willing to pay for the car, and pay attention to the interest – the longer you’re paying, the more you’ll pay in interest on the principal. Work with the dealer to find a payment you’re comfortable with and that won’t break your bank.
- Love Your New Car – Once you’ve worked out financing and put down a down payment (if the dealer requires it), you’re all set! Remember, though, that regular maintenance and care will extend the life of your car and eliminate many problems before they start. And if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call your dealer and ask.
By following these simple steps, you’ll find yourself sitting in a great used car that’s exactly what you wanted for yourself. And if you’re still not sure where to start, we can help! The Key is Oklahoma City’s premier used car dealership. We work with you to find a car that fits your lifestyle and your budget, and we treat you like a person instead of a potential sale. Contact us or check out our entire used car inventory to find your next car today.