December 23, 2014
Why Do Lenders Deny Auto Loans?
Getting turned down for a used car loan can be a disheartening experience. “Why don’t they trust me?” you might ask yourself. “I thought I had an OK credit score!”
Unfortunately, credit scores aren’t the only factor lenders look at when they consider you for a loan. There are a number of reasons you might get turned down for a loan from a traditional dealership, bank, or other lender. However, there are some things you can do to get your finances back in a lender’s good graces – it will just take some effort and time.
Common Loan Denial Reasons
Most lenders have stringent requirements for their borrowers to get approval for a loan. These requirements often include:
- An Acceptable Credit Score: There is no “magic score” for a loan applicant to meet when applying for a loan. Different lenders have different cutoff points for loans, and lenders may be willing to compromise on a credit score based on other factors. However, if you have a low credit score (generally below 600) you’ll have a harder time getting a loan from most lenders and will pay high interest when you do.
- Proof of Income: If you’re unemployed or between jobs, you’ll have a far harder time getting approved for a loan than someone who has a job, even if you have plenty of money in the bank. It can also be harder for self-employed or freelance workers who don’t get regular paychecks to get loans. Make sure you have proof of your income (such as pay stubs or tax returns) ready when trying to get a loan.
- Enough Job Time: Many lenders require you to not only be employed, but to be at the same job for over six months before they’ll consider you for a loan. For workers just starting out at a new job, this can make getting approved for a car loan tricky.
- Enough Time in your Residence: Similarly to job time, lenders want you to be in a stable housing situation so they know where to reach you. Been in your residence for less than six months? It’ll be tougher for you to get approved.
- A Low Debt-to-Income Ratio: Even if you meet all the other requirements above, you can still get denied for a loan if you have too much outstanding debt. Lenders will look at how much you owe on your credit cards, student loans, mortgage, and any other loans you have out to determine your ability to repay.
- A Good Down Payment: Many car dealers and lenders don’t like letting cars off the lot without a substantial down payment, since it places more risk on the loan. Saving up for a bigger down payment can make it easier for you to get approved for a loan.
- A Clean Credit Report: Buyers in the process of cleaning up their credit will find it harder to get loans, since many credit problems show up on credit reports for years after the fact. Missed payments, defaulted loans, collection actions, and other financial problems are present on your credit report for a long time, and lenders are very careful about giving loans to these borrowers. Make sure to check your credit report regularly and try to get items removed if possible. Also, keep an eye out for identity theft or other credit-related problems.
Why The KEY is Different
We know that getting denied for an auto loan hurts. What’s worse, you probably need the car you were trying to get the loan for. Whether it’s for work, school, your family, or just to make life easier, a car is a vital part of living in the world today. That’s why we offer special financing programs at The KEY for buyers with less-than-perfect credit. We want to help you find a great used car at a great price, even if regular lenders have already turned you down.
When you apply for financing for a used car at The KEY, we don’t look at many of the things a traditional lender considers. For instance, we don’t examine your credit report or credit score, we don’t require you to provide a large down payment, and we work with buyers with short job time or time in their current residence. This makes it much easier for our customers to get quality cars fast.
For almost every buyer, it’s always good to work on repairing your credit and paying down debts. However, many of us can’t afford to wait around for months while these changes take effect. If you’re looking to get into a great used car fast, come to The KEY today. We’ll have you pre-approved in just two minutes without hassle.