June 22, 2022
The Quick Guide On How To Fix Scratches On Your Car!
Many drivers have experienced the frustration of getting a scratch on their car. Whether it’s from accidentally hitting a pole, another car in a parking lot, or a malicious act by a passerby, these scratches can be unsightly and annoying. But don’t worry – with this guide, you’ll be able to fix them easily and quickly!
Identify the Scratch – Major Prerequisite!
Before you do anything else, you need to identify and classify the scratch.
There are different types of scratches, and each type needs to be treated differently. The most common types of scratches are:
1. Light Scratches:
These scratches are usually caused by things like keys or nails scratching the paint. They don’t usually go all the way through the paint and are more of a cosmetic issue.
How to Fix this?
If the scratch is only on the paint and not too deep, you can try to fix it with a polishing compound.
- Apply the compound to a clean cloth and rub it into the scratch using a circular motion. Next, rinse the area with water and then dry it off.
- You can also use touch-up paint pens for light scratches.
2. Deep Scratches:
These are usually caused by things like rocks or branches hitting the car. They can go all the way through the paint and can even damage the metal underneath.
How to Fix this?
Fill the problem area using an auto body filler before painting over it. We recommend availing of professional help to fix deep scratches.
- Apply the auto body filler using a putty knife and smooth out the scratched area.
- Once it’s dry, sand it down so it is level with the surrounding area and paint over it.
3. Rust Spots:
Rust spots occur when moisture gets trapped under the paint and causes it to rust. Rust spots can also be caused by bird droppings or tree sap.
How to Fix this?
- Sand down the rust spot until it’s flush with the surrounding area and apply a new layer of paint.
- You may also want to try using a rust converter, which will convert the rust into a protective coating.
Whichever scratch removal method you choose, make sure to follow the instructions carefully and take your time to avoid making the problem worse.
Important Points to Remember & Some Bonus Tips!
- Suppose your beloved vehicle is still under warranty. In that case, we highly recommend that you take it to the dealership or local body shop to have the work done – you don’t want to void your warranty!
- Always use a soft cloth when cleaning or polishing your car’s paint – you don’t want to damage the finish.
- Be careful when using any cleaner or polish on your car’s paint – test it on an inconspicuous area first to make sure it won’t damage the finish.
- When fixing scratches, always start with the least abrasive method and work your way up if necessary – you don’t want to damage the paint more than necessary.
If you follow these simple tips, you should be able to fix any scratches on your car’s paint job quickly and easily – so get out there and start cleaning!
Are you looking for a new car or an immaculately maintained used car? Look no further than The Key Online – Tulsa, serving Tulsa, OK. With our friendly staff, you can easily shop for your new vehicle. We also offer some very convenient financing options – get pre-approved online!